It is the end of an era, and it's actually quite bittersweet. Last Saturday we packed up the apartment, and last Sunday we went to church for the last time at the University 4th Ward. That evening we closed the door of apartment 501 for the last time. It has been quite a ride for the last 2 1/2+ years. It's hard to believe it's coming to an end. We're super excited to move on, but this has been a great place for us. Over the last 6 years we've been married, this place has felt the most like home. I'm sure part of that has been because this is the longest we've been in one place during our married life so far, but there are other things as well.
(Best friends, August 2009)
Asher was 3 months old when we moved up here in July 2007. For him this truly is home. He
knows it; it's where he feels comfortable. From his crib, to our bed, to the washing machine, to where we kept the silverware, he knows this place. As much as he loves being at Honey and Papa's house or Grandma and Grandpa's house, eventually he just wants to go back to his home. The boys have spent the last couple of days before we moved with Honey and Papa so that we could get busy with the packing - they'd been sick all week which made it even harder for Abby to try and get anything done while I was at my internship for 10+ hours a day - so they didn't see everything get put into boxes and moved out. We stayed the night here Saturday night so we could go to church in the morning, and as we walked into the now empty apartment Asher began looking around asking where things were. We sat on the floor and ate dinner and
he decided he wanted a fork, so he went to the silverware drawer and opened it only to find it empty. He checked another drawer, and of course that one was empty as well. "Now this is a problem" he said as he commenced opening all of the other drawers. Later that night he asked where the "metal thing" was, meaning the washing machine. This morning he came from his room into ours and said "Daddy, where's your big bed!?" And of course, his show (the TV) is missing as well. When you've been so used to one thing for so long - especially for more than half of your life - it's hard to change. This is a tough thing for us, but I think it's going to really be a rough few weeks at least for him since we're going to be in limbo for a little while until we figure out what to do next. Caleb, I think, isn't as emotionally vested as Asher, but he of course was born and has spent all of his 18 months here. He knows this place every bit as well as
Asher. We're grateful that Abby's parents have let us stay with them for this week, but Asher has said more than once that "I just want to go home!". Poor little boy!
We truly have loved the ward here. We've made some great, lifelong friends and have had opportunities to serve with great people. I'm especially grateful for the opportunity to serve as
ward clerk for a time and to get to know the great men that serve in our bishopric. Abby has also been able to serve with great people as a member of the Relief Society presidency and Primary presidency. The members of this ward and stake have such amazing testimonies of the Savior and his restored gospel, and the men who serve as leaders are amazing examples. Even though it gets harder to hear and pay attention with two kids as energetic and restless as ours, I
looked forward to church every week and the spirit of that ward and stake. They've also all been so great with the boys. Everyone in our ward tells us how fun they are and how much they love to watch them during church. Asher loves his nursery teachers and loved going to nursery to play with them. It really has been a great ward and we'll miss it!
In June 2007 we drove up to Salt Lake to visit Abby's cousin Liz, who was living in "the Village"
with her husband, to check things out. I had just started the program and we decided we wanted to live closer to school. As we left I felt good about things, but Abby was not impressed. I remember the conversation as we left going something like this:
Me: "You know, I like it there, I think it'll work out."
Abby (with wide, distraught-filled eyes): "Really!? Oh no, I didn't like it at all! We can't live there! They're so small and ugly! We can't live there!"
(Interjection from Abby.... I don't remember being quite that dramatic.)
(The day we moved in, July 2007)
Eventually she came around, and what a great blessing it has been. It has been great being so close to school, to have friends close, be in a great area, and attend an amazing ward. We have been blessed with a great experience as we've moved through this chapter of our lives. Our family has grown - literally and figuratively - so much during our time here. It's hard to see
something like that come to an end.
But it is, and so begins the end of this chapter. I'm in California now for my last internship with Abby and the boys joining me in a couple of weeks (thanks John and Nancy for your generosity and excitement for having us stay with you!). Sometime between now and the end of April I plan on taking my board exam. And then May 7th - GRADUATION! That's the good news. The more daunting news is that, at this point, once May 7th rolls around we have no idea what's next. I think that's what makes leaving here just a little harder. A lot of our friends have
graduated and been able to stay in the Village through the summer until they figure out what they're doing. We're going to be transient for at least the next few months. There are a few job possibilities - and hopefully more interviews coming - but nothing concrete yet. Do we stay here if I'm offered a certain job that I'm hoping for? Do we travel like we've been considering for the last little while? It's still so up in the air, and after today we'll have lost one of the only sure and stable things we have - our home.
But, not all is lost. Recently we saw the movie "Julie and Julia", and a line really stuck out to both of us. If I remember correctly, Julia's husband Paul just learned he was being transferred and they'd be moving again. He mentions that they will go home and work on her cookbook. She makes a comment about not having a home, and says "where is home? Where do we live?"
to which Paul responds, "home is wherever we are." Home is wherever we are. That is our mantra for the next little while - and for the rest of our lives for that matter - whether we decide to travel or stay close. Home is wherever we are.
And so, 501 University Village, you were our home because that's where we were, and we thank you. We will miss you and your cinderblock walls, your crooked door frames, your easily stopped up sinks, and all of your spacious 604 square feet. It's been a good 31 months, but it's time for us to go.
(Saying goodbye to our little home, February 2010)
Don't worry about us though, because wherever we end up, that's where home will be.
8 comments:
Good luck you guys! I'm so glad you keep blogging so we know how you're doing. We sure miss seeing your lil' boys. Have a fabulous time on your next adventure!
This makes me want to live there, assuming of course that we get accepted to the U...
I remember the day you moved in! I did not know what I was in for. It was great. Good luck in your transition.
And, here's more... Cory and I got on the waiting list for an apartment before we even saw the place. When I saw them I just cringed inside! I WAS that dramatic!
It's not the beginning of the end. It's the end of the beginning!
Aww, that's kind of sad.
I totally got all emotional reading that. Probably cuz I miss you guys, and cuz we're just behind you a couple weeks. Good luck guys!
2.5 years have flown! Locke was just admitted to BYU's MBA program so we'll be going back to Utah. We feel exactly the same way. Hope we can get together before you start another Carrier chapter!
Post a Comment