So, onto my question for all you older, wiser, and more experienced out there...Is it a good thing to have all of these little glimpses into our life recorded or is it better to leave some of it to the child's memory/imaginations, which tend to be romanticized and slightly rose colored? For example, the play room at my grandma's house. If you asked me now I would say that it was a huge room filled to the brim with toys, dress up clothes, stuffed animals and random other treasures. In reality it was probably a normal sized room with one or two boxes of stuff we played with in it. Do you get my point? Is it better to record and remember all of these stories or will it eventually bring a slight disappointing reality to what Asher and Caleb remember from their childhood? I'd love to know what you think.
Goodnight!
7 comments:
Hey Abby its me Karla I got your blog address from Michelle. But I have to say this. I think we as humans cling onto happy memories. Things that make us feel that way. I think that even though pictures, journalism and things like that make it seem so small and insignificant it will be the feelings that overcome the other things. Anyways I hope that made sense. I don't make a whole lot of sense because of my four kids they have been making me so crazy I loose all sense of things.
Hi, it's Emilee (Southern) from high school. I hope you don't mind, but I found the link to your blog on Michelle's blog and wanted to see how you were doing so I looked at it even though you didn't invite me. Hope you don't hate me . :)
Honestly, you are deep, what a thoughtful mother you are! Your children are lucky to have you.
I personally think you should write about things. I have very few memories from my childhood and would love to remember more, even if I came to find out that the memories were slightly disappointing. I went back to my elementary school several years ago and was surprised at how much smaller it was then what I had remembered. However, it brought back so many memories and was very interesting to see those things from an adult perspective. I wish I could remember more. So, there's my long thought on the subject.
Your children are darling. I hope life is treating you well.
Write down ALL the memories...and then you know what you can do? I found the best site called blurb.com where you can go on, and do what they call "slirping" where they take yoru blog and you push a button and the whole thing is put in a book! You can do it yearly, multi-yearly, or what ever you want...but I say write them all! I have memories of things and the reality in writing doesn't change that writing ;) plus, it'll help the memories stay alive when they are forgot. I don't know if that helps, but that's my 2 cents! :)
It's better to have it all. I think that two memories can exist side by side in one brain. Older memories of that room when it belonged to Mark don't wash out the way I remember it when I was younger (and I guess I remember it similarly to you). I find that I can still pick the way I want to remember stuff even with evidence in existence, and it doesn't bother me one bit. Why try to edit anything for the sake of romance.
Frankly, someday you'll have dementia and wish you had the photos and videos and stuff to kick-start you. :)
I agree with Jeremy. The boys will have rose colored memories with or without your record, but it would be a shame to miss out on the real accounts of their childhood. I still love reading things that I my mom wrote about her kids in letters and journals. Even those things she wrote when she was worn out and frustrated are important to me as a mom myself. So in other words, keep writing!
Amen. I've 'found" some of my memories by looking over pictures. Sometimes I think they can still be rosy.
hmm.. just to be different I'd say leave some things to the imagination of a childs mind :0) But record all the things that make your heart happy!
Post a Comment